June 8, 2021
Hubby and I have the deck of our dreams thanks to Barrette Outdoor Living and their composite decking and we are completely in love! While our initial plan was not to DIY, I am actually glad that we had this experience together. After a few weeks of working on this after my husband got home from work and on the weekends, we ended up with the perfect addition to our backyard space.
When we were planning and envisioning this space, I knew that I wanted composite decking for this space. If we were going to get a deck, we were going to do it right! To ensure that we did that, we had to find the best products. We were able to partner with Barrette Outdoor Living for the composite decking materials — along with a few other accessories — and we have been so pleased!
Benefits of Composite Decking
Some of the first things I look for when researching a product for a DIY project are the benefits. I want to know why people choose a particular product over another, what are the costs, which one will really work best for our family and why? I have compiled a quick list of what I consider to be the benefits of composite decking.
- Benefit #1: It doesn’t have to be stained every few years. I really like the idea of putting in a deck that would be beautiful and basically look brand new year after year.
- Benefit #2: It is pretty much little boy proof. We have three boys so we need a deck that is durable and that can withstand all of the jumping, flipping, dancing, etc. that they do outside. Composite decking is extremely durable which is a major plus for this mama!
- Benefit #3: Composite decking is environmentally friendly! Why not help the environment AND have a beautiful deck? And, the deck boards have a wood grain pattern which I love!
- Benefit #4: It is long lasting! Hubby and I did not do all of this work for it to only last a few years! We are in it for the long haul with this beauty!
- Benefit #5: It was super easy to install (this benefit speaks directly to Barrette Outdoor Living’s composite decking)! They have a Step-Clip® system where you literally step on the composite deck boards to install them onto the framing, no tools needed! This was the part of the installation that was the easiest and funniest to watch (Hubby was basically dancing during this portion of the install).
- Benefit #6: It’s literally cooler than other decking on the market! Barrette Outdoor Living decking features CoolTrac™ which not only keeps the deck significantly cooler than other brands on the market, but also provides superior slip resistance — keeping my family safe!
We Didn’t Stop With Just Decking
I have ALWAYS wanted a pergola! However, I did not think that the one we would eventually have would be this gorgeous! We were able to use the Decorative Screen Panels from Barrette Outdoor Living to create this DIY pergola and I am not sure I could be even more in love. We chose the Morse pattern in black and the pattern and color are perfect for our space! These panels were also incredibly easy to install and give us the perfect amount of shade. My oldest asks every day if he can take a nap under the pergola!
Now, the deck is one of our most used spaces. We eat out here ALL of the time! To top it all off, we installed this beautiful railing from the RDI Collection from Barrette Outdoor Living. The railing came with everything we needed to make sure it was properly secured and stable. We chose this railing because we felt like it would really finish this space off well. Our deck is low to the ground, but the railing was seriously a detail that I am so happy we did not overlook.
I love that Hubby and I were able to build this together (especially after our contractors bailed on us). We were able to create an outdoor space that our family can enjoy and make beautiful memories in. And, we did not have to compromise on our dream and vision for this space. The decorative screen panels, decking and railing products from Barrette Outdoor Living made this project so much smoother than we ever could have imagined.
I love the details listed in your list of benefits. I am adding this to my wish list.